A well cared for dog is a happy dog. Below are a few tips to help keep you and your dog living happily together for many years.
- Spay/neuter your dog around six months of age. The lack of the hormones produced by your dog’s reproductive system will result in a happier, healthier, better behaved dog. He also will be more obedient.
- Provide your dog with plenty of exercise. Some dogs require a lot of daily exercise, others, not so much, but they all need some form of exercise every day. Take your dog on a walk, play fetch, or play tug of war with a toy or piece of rope.
- Be firm, consistent, yet loving in your training methods. Dogs need this! They are very social animals who require a leader, or else they will become the leader. Read Be The Leader Of Your Pack! for further information.
- Don’t forget to reward good behavior. Like people, dogs like to be appreciated and loved.
- Provide your dog with a well fitting collar with a name tag. Tag should include your dog’s name, and your current telephone number.
- Annual check-ups with a good veterinarian are ideal. Follow his directions for caring for your dog.
- Clip toenails regularly. Neglected nails can be very uncomfortable for your dog, or even grow into the pads on his feet, causing pain and infections.
- Groom him. Regular brushing and bathing keeps his coat healthy and beautiful.
- Talk to your dog! They understand our words, not merely the tone of voice we use. Tell your dog no, that particular behavior is unacceptable. Tell your dog he is a good boy for doing another behavior. Tell him often how much you love him and are proud of him.